Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Salted Eggs

When I posted my homemade salted eggs in Facebook, I didn't expect so many of my friends asking for the recipe on how to make it.

Instead of answering one by one, I looked up this blog to find the link to share to FB. But to my surprise, I couldn't find it from the old posts. I only mentioned my previous salted eggs in this two recipes Steam Tofu and Bak Chang but I didn't really post the method of making them. 

I went thru my old photo and discovered the old photo of step by step which I had taken back in 2013 but never published. So, here you are the photo to explain the step by step. I used brine method which is easy way. 

I didn't specify on quantity of salt to use as it is much depend on your size of glass container and water level.  After google on the saturation point of salt water, here is the calculation:

"At boiling (100 °C) the amount that can be dissolved in one liter of water increases to about 391 grams"

Once you finish the first batch of the salted eggs, you can continue to use the same salt water to brine your next batch of eggs until the salt water turn cloudy then it is time to redo a new salt water solution again. 


BRINE METHOD

Ingredients: 
Coarse Salt
Eggs 
Glass Container



  1. Pour the coarse salt and water into a pot and boil until salt saturated and crystallized.
Just continue to pour salt in the boiling water and stir until all the salt has dissolved and keep boiling until salt crystals start to form on the side of the pot. This indicates the salt water has reached a saturation point and the salt has started to crystallize.

  1. Remove pot from heat and let the salt water cool to room temperature.
  2. Wash the Eggs and pat dry with paper towels.
  3. Put the eggs in the glass container.
  4. Slowly pour in the cool salt water until all the eggs are submerged in the water.
  5. Cover the container with the lid and leave it in a cool dark place for at least 30 days.
After 30 days, you can try to take out one by one to boil into hard boiled egg to see whether the salted egg is ready or not. When you see the oily golden egg yolks, you have successfully made your homemade salted eggs.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails