Some of you might still remember I mentioned in my pervious post I was seriously looking for a budget stand mixer to help with dough kneading and my dilemma of not willing to get a branded mixer due to its expensive import pricing in Malaysia.
After months of surveying, finally in Oct, I was delighted to spot an awesome deal in Malaysia Groupon. The deal came from a locally manufactured stand mixer branded “The Baker”. It was on offer a while ago and back on offer again with popular demand. It was on a 40% discount, selling at only RM450 from its original price of RM750. The deal went even lower to RM400 if 2 units were purchased. I came to know my neighbour was also looking for one, hence we combined our order to save RM50 each, at only RM400 a unit
With the price we paid, we got to enjoy a robust 6 speed 800 watt stand mixer with a 5.2 litre steel bowl which holds up to 2kg of mixture of dough or cake batter. To me this basic feature of the mixer was more than enough to meet my primary objective in dough kneading. I knew I wasn't getting a Kitchen Aid hence I wasn’t disappointed with its basic appearance when the set delivered.
I tested the machine last week and was satisfied with its performance so far. The result I got from my 1st trial :
- a well knead dough, no undone dough at the bottom of the bowl
- double the quantity of flour kneaded compared to what I was able to hand knead at any one time – 600g vs 300g
- about the same amount of time when I had to wrest my muscles to hand knead the bread dough.
- texture of the bread was more or less similar to my hand kneaded version.
- a transparent cover with pocket opening to prevent over spillage of flour during operation.
- Noisy – the higher the gear the noisier the motor.
- Stability – the higher the gear, the stronger the vibration. I tested up to gear 5 and decided to stop, the machine trembled tremendously even on my granite kitchen top. A very stable top is needed to place the mixer while in operation.
The 1st batch of bread I made using this stand mixer as pilot had was a fluffy and soft texture .
|Sweet Sesame Seeds Buns 香软芝麻甜面包|
My mistake of not checking on oven heat when I was still have not mastered our oven temperature. The buns were a bit too brown when the timer beep.
Shared below is the basic sweet buns dough recipe.
SWEET SESAME SEEDS BUNS
A – Sweet dough 600g bread flour or high protein flour 2 tsp. instant yeast 100g castor sugar 1 1/4 tsp. salt 3 tbsp. milk powder 1 small egg 300ml water
B 50g soften butter
C Some white sesame seeds Melted butter for glazing
600克面包粉或高筋面粉 2茶匙速溶酵母 100克细砂糖, 1茶匙盐, 300ml 水
C 适量白芝麻软化牛油, 上光
将所有材料面粉，酵母，糖和盐放入碗中搅拌均匀， 慢慢地倒入水。使用慢速度，拌打面团，直到面团形成可以拉得很薄又不会裂与有弹性, 直到面团光滑, 加入牛油揉至均匀。 将面团取出揉成圆形，放入抹油的碗，用抹油过的保鲜膜盖上。让它发至双倍。（放在温暖的地方，以加快发面过程。）把面团打下再揉至光滑，休面15分钟。