Hubby is not a sweet-toothed person as he does not favour most pastries except for cream puff. For him to appreciate my baking, I reckoned it was time for me to learn his favourite pastry – Cream Puff.
Cream puff was originated from French pastry name Choux Pastry or Pâte à choux with butter, water, flour, and eggs as main ingredients. I had a cook book from Agnes Chang illustrating Choux Pastry recipe and I was preparing to give it a go. Later, I had the idea to check out some video demonstrations before attempting it. After watching a few Choux pastry videos on youtube , I dived straight into it.
Result? I was glad the pastry turned out nicely, however I was a bit disappointed with the custard fillings as the custard was not thick enough. I guess I should have stirred and cooked the custard a bit longer to thicken its consistency. Either sweet fillings or savoury fillings can be used.Since I found visual demostration was much more informative and easy to follow, here I’m showing a clip featuring my Choux pastry making experience.
Custard Cream Puff
Choux Pastry (pâte à choux):
120 g butter
1/8 tsp. salt
150g plain flour, sifted
2 tsp. baking powder
50g custard powder
½ tsp. vanilla essence
1 egg yolk
Make Custard Filling:
1. Mix A in a small pot, bring B milk to boil, then pour A and mix well.
2. Return to fire, stir and cook till boiling, add butter and stir well till smooth.
3. Remove from fire, add yolk and vanilla. Stir well and leave to cool before using.
1. Preheat oven to 210 degrees Celsius.
2. Put water, butter and salt into a small pot, over medium heat, bring to boiling;
3. Remove from heat; mix in flour all at once.
4. Over low heat, stir and cook until mixture leaves side of pot and forms dough and remove from heat and leave to cool.
5. With mixer, beat in eggs, one at a time until mixture is smooth. Continue beating until dough is shiny and smooth. Add in 2 tsp baking powder and blend well.
6. Put in mixture into piping bag, pipe mixture onto a baking tray layered with baking paper.
7. Bake 20 minutes at 210 degree, till lightly brown. Reduce heat to 180 degree and bake until puffed and golden brown another 20 mintues.
8. Puffs should sound hollow when lightly tapped. Remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
9. To serve: With sharp knife cut off tops. Fill with custard; replace tops.
1. 牛油, 水以小火煮溶
2. 熄火, 筛入面粉搅匀, 放阴凉处待凉
3. 面团凉透后, 蛋逐只加入搅匀, 再加入2茶匙发粉搅拌均匀。
( 面团一定要凉透后, 才可以加入蛋, 否则焗制时泡芙不会膨胀起来)
4. 放入挤花袋内, 以绕圈方式挤出圆尖形, 或长形。
5. 放入已预热用210度焗炉焗约20分钟至淡黄色, 减少热度至180度，烘烤直到膨化和金黄色约20分钟，后取出待冷。
6. 以刀钭切泡夫外皮至一半深, 将吉士忌廉挤入切口内即成