Butter cake again ? Recipe #3
Following up from my previous post, here I am introducing another great butter cake recipe from a blog which I came across while I was researching on butter cake recipes.
I was glad that my trial turned out successful. The cake tasted really soft and moist as claimed by the blog post. The main difference of this recipe as compared to the last 2 recipes I blogged before was this recipe required the egg whites and yolks to be separated and to beat the white and sugar into stiff egg white. More skill was needed to make this cake as stiff egg white was not easy to make.
Crack free butter cake
I baked this cake for my late mother-in-law’s passing anniversary jìrì (忌日) prayer ceremony. Besides this cake, I also made my signature dish roasted pork belly while Auntie Lan made rice dumpling ( Bak Chang). It was a sumptuous lunch for her.
Mrs Ng SK's Butter Cake
The recipe adapted from Wendyinkk's blog. This butter cake recipe originated from one of the church members of Mrs Ng SK.
- 230g Butter ( I used the whole butter 250g)
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 4 eggs ( about 200g), separated into whites and yolks
- 200g sifted self-raising flour
- 60ml milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- 50g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 C for at least 15min, line the base of 8” baking pan with parchment paper and grease the sides of the baking pan.
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla at medium speed till pale and fluffed up.
- Add in egg yolks, one at a time making sure it's well mixed before adding the next.
- Add half of the flour, mix at slow speed. Add in milk, mix then the remaining flour.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites with 50g caster sugar till soft peaks.
- Scoop ⅓ of the egg white into the batter, and mix it thoroughly, to lighten up the batter.
- Add in the remaining egg whites and fold it in with a spatula.
- Pour into the lined baking pan and level.
- Place in the middle rack of the oven, bake for 45 minutes at 170 C
- Lower the temperature to 150C at last the 15 minutes if you see the top is too brown, or using a aluminum sheet to cover the top.
- Using a skewer to check doneness of the cake by poking into the center of the cake, if it's cooked, the skewer comes out clean.
230克牛油（我用250克） 150克砂糖， 鸡蛋4个（约200克） ，分为蛋 白和蛋黄， 200克过筛自发面粉， 60毫升奶， 1茶匙香草精， 50克砂糖
2. 将烤箱预热至180℃15分钟， 可减少至170， 烤盘抹油或置油纸。
5. 面粉划分为二分次拌入，鸡蛋奶油里最低速度搅拌混合 最后，加入牛奶拌匀。
6. 在另一个碗，搅拌蛋清和50克细砂糖，搅拌至软峰 即蛋白膏的峰尖挺立不下垂并硬性发泡。舀蛋白膏分为三次拌入面糊中调匀了。
8.将烤盘放进烘箱中架。烤45分钟或至金黄色。 用牙签/串以测试，串出来干净，它已熟， 从烘箱中取出，让烤盘冷却5分钟后才除去烤盘倒出蛋糕。