Sunday, August 26, 2012

Thai Style Deep-fried Fish Fillet 泰式脆鱼条


With a week of Raya holiday at home, I decided to spend some time to tidy up my photo folders and blog posts which was long overdue in my “to do” list.  I was surprised to find this blog post left in the folder yet to be published. It was over a year old post which I wrote in the final week in Auckland in March 2011.

Last Thai in Auckland
With our fridge sold in preparation for our repatriation to Malaysia, I had to do marketing on a daily basis. This morning when I saw fish fillet was on special, I bought a piece for dinner meal.  But without a fridge I had problem to keep the fish fresh until dinner time. To prevent the fish fillet from turning bad I had to marinate it first. To come up with deep fried ideas, I went through series of Hawkers delights cookbooks I had and spotted this yummy Thai recipe from Yummy Yummy Hawkers’ Fair by Chef Phang Fah.

The original recipe called for sweet basil leaves, which I didn’t have. Too bad basil was one of the herbs that was not available in my garden that I could harvest easily.  Without basil leaf, I substituted it with fresh flat-leaf parsley. I knew with this substitution, it would change the flavour of the dish. Basil has a sweet spicy flavour and was stronger but parsley was lighter in flavour. Nevertheless, I was glad the deep fried fish fillet turned out tasty.

For a true Thai flavour, next time I would give the original recipe a try.



THAI STYLE DEEP-FRIED FISH FILLET

Ingredients
1 tbsp shredded ginger
30g Thai sweet basil leaves, shredded (I replaced with flat-leaf parsley)
500g fish fillet cut into thick strips
1 egg

Marinade
½  tsp salt
½  tbsp shaoxing wine
½  tsp of chicken stock granules
Dash of sesame oil and pepper
1 tsp corn flour

For Coating :
5 tbsp plain flour mixed with 5 tbsp corn flour
5 cups oil for deep-frying

Method :
1. Combine all ingredients and marinade, season for 30 minutes.
2. Coat seasoned fish fillet with flour mixture and deep-fry in hot oil until golden brown and crispy. Dish and drain.
3. Serve hot with Thai chilli sauce.

 
泰式脆鱼条

材料
1大匙姜丝
30g九层塔,切成丝
500g鱼肉,切成粗条状
1粒蛋
 
腌料
1/2小匙盐
1/2大匙绍兴酒
少许麻油和胡椒粉
1大匙粟粉
 
干粉料
5大匙面粉,加入5大匙粟粉拌匀
5杯炸油
 
做法
1.  将全部材料和腌料拌匀,腌30分钟。
2.  腌好的鱼条沾上干粉,放入热油中炸至金黄色及香脆,捞起沥干油分。
3.  趁热配上泰式辣椒酱享用。

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails