14th July 2013I just can’t believe my darling boy has turned 9! Last month, he attended one of his classmates’ birthday party and his classmates had asked him to organize the same for his birthday too. He came back with this request. I was happy to support his suggestion and even promised to make him a birthday cake. However, his dad was reluctant with the idea of kids running around our house and the hassle of tidying up the aftermath. He later suggested throwing a small water splashes party at our golf/swimming club which was just 5 minutes away from our house instead. This win-win idea turned out to be a blast. Ray invited 4 of his close school buddies over and at the end of the birthday party; all of them rated this event as one of the best birthday parties they had ever attended. They gave a big thumb up for the great fun at the pool and the water guns we bought for each boy.
Frankly speaking, compared with bread baking, I was still pretty amateur in cake baking. But not to disappoint my boy, I needed to try my best and honour my word. Knowing Ray loved chocolate and ice cream, I opted for the easy “no bake” cheesecake instead. I wrote to my good friend, Helen in Auckland for help. She was the master that had taught me baking when I resided in Auckland. Her recipes were mostly idiot proof. Do check out the recipes that I attempted before, Lemon Cheesecake, Tiramisu and Moon Cake. I was thankful to her; she came back promptly to my request as she just did the same birthday cake for her daughter a month ago.
|No Bake Chocolate Ganache Cheesecake 免烤巧克力芝士蛋糕|
As you could see, the cake was not perfectly done. I had 2 failed attempts in the process of making this cake. This was my first trial in making ganache. I was hoping to have a smooth silky ganache but the cake ended up with bubbled surface and the ganache was not set enough to firm even after more than 3 hours of freezing in the fridge.
Later, I did some checking and
realized that part of the reasons why the ganache did not firm up was possibly due
to the un-boiled fresh cream. I should bring the cream to boil for a minute or
more to help reduce the water content in the cream and to break up the protein
strands. Emulsified sauces combine better when the amount of water is reduced. I
then recalled that I was pouring cold cream into melted chocolate instead of
boiling the cream before adding it to chopped chocolate. That was the first failed attempt.
|Chocolate transfer sheet walls|
They say “don’t judge a book by its cover”. This seems describe well this occasion. The frozen cheesecake did taste really yummy despite my poor cake decoration skill!
|Delicious Chocolate Cheesecake|
No Bake Chocolate Ganache Cheesecake
150g crushed Oreo Chocolate cookies
70g butter, melted
250gm cream cheese softened
200ml fresh cream,
200gm Dark Chocolate
3 tsp. gelatin powder
100ml hot water
( no sugar as Chocolate is sweet)
Follow the same steps as demonstrated in my previous No bake cheese Cake recipe.
1. Double boil to melt the chocolate until smooth paste and set aside to cool
2. Dissolved 3 tsp. gelatine powder into 100ml of hot water.
3. Place the cream cheese in a bowl, double boil and using an electric mixer, to beat cream cheese till it forms a smooth mixture set aside.
4. In separate bowl beat fresh cream till stiff peaks form.
5. Add in melted chocolate, gelatine and fold it into the cream cheese mixture.
6. Remove the biscuit base from the fridge and pour the prepared cheesecake mixture over the biscuit base.
7. Use a spatula to smooth out the top. Cover will a cling film or plastic wrap and place in freezer for at least 3 hours. ( I placed overnight)
1. Double boil the chocolate and cream and stir until smooth.
Improve version: Extracted from Cakes and Mores
(Double boil fresh cream. When bubbles appear along the edges, turn off heat. Add the grated chocolate and mix. Keep aside for 3 min, use a wooden spoon to stir in one direction such that the cream and chocolate blend together to form a smooth mixture and no trace of chocolate chunks are left. The chocolate should melt completely.)
2. Let cool at room temperature until thick cream texture.
(Allow to cool for 15 min at room temperature).
3. Pouring ganache :
Remove the frozen cheesecake, place the cake on a cooling rack with a tray underneath to catch the drip and pour the ganache. Then lift the cake carefully and place on the cake platter.
Chocolate Walls Decoration :
250 grams of chocolate
If you wish to decorate the cake with chocolate walls, then recommend to do this step before pouring ganache on top layer to reduce the ganache used.
1. Melt chopped chocolate by double boiling method.
2. Using a measuring tape to measure the height of the cake and circumference of the cake.
3. Cut baking paper to the length of circumference of the cake and the height of the paper slightly higher than the cake.
4. Place the cut baking paper on a layer of baking paper or plastic ( to avoid messing the table top), pour melted chocolate and spread evenly to form thin layer onto the cut baking paper.
5. Once chocolate slightly set, slowly lift the cut baking paper and place round the edge of the cake.
6. Chill until chocolate walls set on the cake and then gently tear the entire baking paper and left the chocolate coating firm on the cake.
Decoration for birthday wording:
1. Melt white chocolate or
2. Add appropriate amount of water to icing sugar stir until the thick consistency that good for piping and put into piping bag.
3. Pipe to write happy birthday.
奶油奶酪250克 鲜奶油200 ml 黑巧克力200克 吉利丁粉3小勺 热水100 ml
白巧克力隔热水融化后或者用icing sugar 加适量清水搅至浓稠后装入裱花袋