Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Muah Chee (Steamed Glutinous Paste with Peanut) 花生芝麻糍粑


Muah Chee is one of my favorite childhood desserts. During one gathering, I showed off my cook books to my Auckland friends' Cheng Im and Cheng Ee (whom also came from Penang). When we flipped to the page of Muah Chee, all of us exclaimed the same remarks "I missed this food!" So, on one easy Sunday afternoon, we gave it a try and it was another success.

When I tasted the muah chee, it brought back so many good old childhood memories. I recalled when I was small, nearly once a week, there was an old hawker cycling around our neighborhood and yelling "Muah Chee" and the kids would rushed out with coins in their hands lining up to buy this delicious peanut coating glutinous balls from him. Those were the days; now you hardly find muah chee selling off street.

In fact, before we moved here I did request Ming Ray's nanny to teach me to make muah chee. However, her method was much tiring. Instead of steaming she boiled the dough. Once the dough is cooked and float on the water, removed and while it is still hot, you need to keep stirring until smooth. I found this method was quite tiring and you need strong hands to do the stirring, as the glutinous dough was too sticky and hard to move.

This recipe is much easier, even the recipe requested you to stir after steaming the dough, if you have no strength to stir till smooth don't bother, once you coat the dough with peanut who will notice whether the dough is smooth or not. The only tedious part is to make ground peanuts, but if you get to buy the readymade ground peanut, it does save you lots of time and hassle.

I didn't have time to take a nice photo for this dessert; we finished it before I can even get a nice photo out from them! J (Move mouse over the photo to see the steamed dough)
@15/07/2010


Muah Chee (Steamed Glutinous Paste with Peanut) 花生芝麻糍粑

Ingredients A :

250g glutinous rice flour
375ml (1 1/2 cups) water
**2 tbsp fried shallot oil (you can opt for normal cook cooking oil)

Ingredient B :

  • 250g toasted peanuts, removed skin, ground ( you can buy off the shelf ground peanuts)
  • 30g toasted sesame seeds, grounded
  • 60g icing sugar, sifted (we used castor sugar)
Method:
  1. Mix ingredient A till smooth. Pour into a greased 8" round streaming tray. Steam with medium heat for 45 minutes until cooked.
  2. Removed use a wooden spoon to stir in one direction until smooth again. Brush a little oil on top to prevent it from drying. Leave to cool.
  3. Cut cooled mixture into small pieces and coat with B. Serve as snack or dessert.
(Serves 6 )

Note:
**Fried shallot oil can be obtained by frying sliced shallots in oil till shallots become golden brown.

材料A:
250克糯米粉
375毫升(1 1 / 2杯)的水
** 2汤匙炸葱头油(假如你没爆香葱头你可以选择菜油)

材料B:
•250克烤花生,去皮磨碎(你可以买现成的磨碎花生粉)
•30克炒香芝麻,磨碎
•60克糖粉,过筛(我们使用幼糖)

方法:
将材料A充份搅拌均匀。倒入一个已抹油的圆盘。用中火蒸45分钟至熟。
取出, 用一个木制勺子朝一个方向搅拌,直到光滑。
上面刷少许油,以防止它干燥成皮。搁置待凉
面团冷却后,剪切成小块,沾上B混合就可以吃啦!

注意:
**葱头油,是用爆香葱头的油。

4 comments:

  1. Tks yp for the recipe. Will definitely give it a try. B

    Btw, may I suggest you put the title of each recipe at the top of the box, before you start with the ingredients? That makes it complete when we get it printed out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BC:
    Thanks for your constructive comment. I will add that for sure.
    Do keep me update on your tryout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my mum made this before and her method was like you said, have to keep stirring and very tiring, me and my sisters had to take turn to stir. Glad you have easier way to make it! Will sure try it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeat Fiou:
    Yes, indeed the old method was much tiring and need stronger hands. I hope you have a successful attempt. Happy trying.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails