Following my last post, the second dish served last Saturday night by our guest chef was the famous Nyonya Asam Pedas (Sour and Spicy) fish. We used Stingray (Skate Wings), which was a common fish for curry because of its not so flaky texture and the ability to withstand long simmer. In addition, it has no tiny sharp bones which makes it very easy to eat. If you are not used to cook this fish, you can opt for pomfret or mackerel or any fish steak that does not flake easily.
That night other than the Lo Ark , this sour spicy dish was another big hit that teased our appetites to second and even third servings of rice J
ASAM PEDAS STINGRAY
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serve : 8
2 kg stingray, cut into small pieces (alternatively, use mackerel or fish steak)
2 tomatoes, quartered
Lady's fingers/Okra (optional) – steam to cooked
2 tbsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp fish curry powder
Mint leaves, for garnish
ASAM PASTE: (BLEND)
10-15 dried red chilies, soaked till soft, drained, deseeded, cut into small pieces
10-12 shallots (est. 250g) ， cut into small pieces
2cm thick belacan (shrimp paste)
4 stalks lemongrass, use the white part, cut into small pieces
Adequate cooking oil to blend the paste
100g tamarind pulp (depend on tamarind use and your preferred sourish)
4-5 cup water
SEASONING (To your taste)
2 tbsp sugar
Salt to taste
1. Soak the tamarind pulp in 4 cups water, strain and keep the liquid. Set aside.
2. Blend dried red chilies, shallots, belacan and lemongrass, add in adequate cooking oil to blend the spices into a fine smooth paste.
3. Add turmeric powder into paste and stir to mix.
4. Heat the wok, add 2 tbsp oil and sauté the blended asam paste on medium heat until fragrant.
5. Once paste starts to splatter, add in tamarind juice, tomatoes, daun kesum (Vietnamese Mint), and bring to a boil on high heat.
6. Add seasoning and taste test, if soup tastes not sour enough add in more tamarind juice.
7. Add in stingray and simmer for 10 minutes or until cooked.
8. Last add in cooked lady's fingers and simmer for another 5 minutes.
9. Final taste test, add in more sugar if too sourish or salt if too blend.
10. Garnish with mint leaves and serve with white rice.
羊角豆/秋葵（可选） - 蒸熟
5。加入亚叁汁，西红柿，越南薄荷叶，煮开， 加入调味。如果不太酸 添加亚叁汁。