Thursday, October 28, 2010

Pork Belly with Dong Cai 冬菜扣肉

Once a while, I will attempt to prepare some tedious and time consuming dish and this is one of them. Hubby has been asking for it for some time, so being the main Chef in the house, when you get the order you need to serve it right?

DongCai 冬菜 in Chinese literally means winter vegetable, this is Chinese traditional pickles, made of preserved dried cabbage or mustard greens. There are two famous types in China, one is Sichuan preserved vegetable another is Tianjin preserved vegetable. This preserved veggie commonly use in soup or stir-fry with meat. For this recipe, I'm using Tianjin five spices preserved vegetable

I understand with current trend of healthy eating this recipe might be a big X to some especially to weight watchers but on contrary this dish is one of our family favorite. The man in my family, his motto of eating is whatever delicious and meaty J

I adapted this recipe from one of my favourite Malaysia's Chinese best-seller cookbook by Chef Alan Kok Ho Ho Jiak! Hawkers' Fair .

Pork Belly with Dong Cai 冬菜扣肉
Pork belly that melt in your mouth


PORK BELLY WITH DONG CAI

INGREDIENTS:
500g pork belly
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 cup of cooking oil (for deep frying)
½ tbsp chopped garlic
1 tsp of chopped ginger
1 dried chilli, chopped (optional)
100 g Dong Cai (preserved dried cabbage or mustard greens)

SEASONING:
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp of Chinese cooking wine ( Shaoxing wine)
1 tsp of sugar
2 tbsp of water

METHOD:
1.       Washed and soaked Dong Cai for 20 minutes, drained and set aside.
2.       Blanch pork belly in boiling water for 5 minutes, Dish and drain.
3.       Poke some holes on skin with fork (I poke using fruit peeler’s tip, same method I used in Crispy pork belly) and rub with 1 tbsp of light soya sauce.
4.       Deep fry in hot oil with skin face down until golden brown, dish and cool and cut into 1cm thick slices.
5.       Leave 1 tbsp of oil in the wok and sauté garlic and ginger until fragrant.
6.       Add in Dong Cai, dried chili and stir-fry then add in seasoning and stir well and dish up.
7.       Arrange pork belly in a steaming bowl and pour dong cai mixture on top.
8.       Steam at high heat for 2 hours or until pork is tender
9.       Remove and serve with white rice.


冬菜扣肉

材料
500克五花肉
1大匙酱油
1杯油(炸)
半汤匙蒜茸
1茶匙姜末
1干辣椒,切碎(可选)
100
冬菜(洗净,浸泡20分钟,沥干水)

调味料:
1汤匙蚝油
1大匙酱油
1汤匙料绍兴酒
1茶匙糖
2汤匙水

方法:
把五花肉放进沸水中烫5分钟,捞起沥干水。
用叉子在花肉皮上戳洞(我用水果削皮刀捅如同脆皮五花肉同样的方法)
涂抹1汤匙酱油。再放进热油中, 把花肉皮向下油炸至皮呈金黄色,盛起待凉。切成1厘米厚片。
1大匙油,爆香蒜和姜末。添加冬菜,干辣椒,炒一炒,然后加入调味料炒匀上碟。
准备一大碗排上五花肉,再把冬菜铺在上面。大火蒸2小时直到花肉软即可取出享用。

6 comments:

  1. Yin - I just ate a dish called gang cai kou rou - is ding cai and gang cai the same or different? The one I ate was a very dark brown colour. You posting this recipe is great timing because I just had begun to search for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fiona:
    I'm not sure of the name "gang cai" have not heard of it. (If follow Han Yu Ping Ying, the closest guess for Gang might refer to 缸 = ceramic cylinder? Which preserved veggie usually kept in)
    For Kou Rou recipes, the most famous one is "Mei Cai Kou Rou" which I suspect the one you ate was refer to this "Mei Cai" 梅菜, they are darker in color.
    Dong cai and Mei Cai both are preserved veggie, mei cai is a bit sweeter than dong cai.
    You can use either one, do update me when you make them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally the same as you... I usually make quick dishes but every once in a while I like to roll up my sleeves and make something that takes a good amount of time. This looks like a wonderful dish to take your time with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roxan:
    Hahaha...right on. I'm more incline to "lazy people" recipes especially favour for those 10 minutes dishes :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pork belly! This sounds so hearty and right up my alley. The hubs would enjoy this too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa:
    Yes, no men will say no to meaty dish :-P

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails