Sunday, October 31, 2010

Spiced Beef Shin 卤牛展/牛腱 - (Featured in Group Recipes)


"Staying in Kiwi land, how can you not eat more beef or lamb where we are one of the biggest meats producers! " This statement was made by one of my computing classmate when she shared her lunch box with me. After testing her juicy spiced beef, I came home and happen to notice one of the cook books I borrowed from local library has this recipe which I can try on.

Frankly, the reason I seldom cook beef is because I'm not good at cooking beef, my food critic always X me out when I served beef. This was my first time cooking beef shin/shank; thankfully the dish turnout to be pretty good and I got a tick this time J

Spiced Beef Shin 卤牛展/牛腱 - Featured in Group Recipes dated 3 November 2010


SPICED BEEF SHIN

 
INGREDIENTS
900gram (2lb) shin of beef
1 slice ginger
3 stalks spring onion (cut into 2 inches length)


SEASONING:
1 1/2  tbsp sugar
2 tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 ½ tbsp oyster sauce
1 cup water
1 2-inches cinnamon stick
2 star anise
2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil

METHOD:
Clean beef, cut into halves. Put in boiling water and cook for 7 minutes. Take out and drain.
Heat the oil in a wok over medium-high heat.
Sauté ginger, spring onion, cinnamon stick, star anise until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
Add the beef stir-fry for a minute to brown briefly
Then add in 1 cup of water bring to boil then simmer in low heat for 40 minutes.
After 40 min, add in seasoning and stir, let it stew for another 40 minutes until beef is tender.
Remove the beef, set aside to cool.

To serve, thinly slice the beef, sprinkle some sesame oil and serve with sauce.
Garnish with coriander/parsley and if desired.
Notes:
This is a cold dish. The beef can be made ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen. Store the unsliced beef in a covered container with a bit of the cooking sauce. Thaw before serving. Great to be party snack to go with red wine.


卤牛展/牛腱

材料:
900克(2磅)牛展/牛腱
生姜2
3棵葱(切为2英寸长)


调味料
1 1 / 2汤匙糖
2汤匙料酒
2大匙酱油
2汤匙老抽
2岁半汤匙蚝油
1杯水
1 支2英寸的肉桂
2只八角
2汤匙油

方法:
洗净牛肉,切成两半。放入沸水中煮7分钟。取出,沥干水。烧热镬油。爆香姜,葱,桂皮,八角(约30秒)。加入牛肉翻炒至略金黄色,加入1杯水煮滾后用小火煨40分钟。
40分钟后,加入调味料,让它再焖40分钟,直到牛肉
取出牛肉,冷却备用。食用时,将牛肉切成片,撒上一些芝麻油,配上酱汁。
如果需要可配上香菜。


注释:
这是一道凉菜。牛展/牛腱可提前做后冷藏。存放在一个有盖容器。食用前解冻,淋上煮热的酱汁。

9 comments:

  1. how come no one has commented on this?? this goes into my copy/paste folder of yin's recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can fish sauce be used instead of oyster sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kitchenmorph:
    Thanks for your support. For your question on replacing oyster sauce with fish sauce, I don't really recommend it, because fish sauce maybe a bit too strong.
    I would suggest you to replace with light soya sauce instead. Common recipes they use light soya sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yin, The beef recipe looks great and I may try it. I have been experiemnting with various traditional Asian condiments to break free from the boundaries of my Western background (you know...salt, pepper, maybe some bottled bbq sauce, slap it on a hot grill, eat it and drink lots of beer with it). I have had good luck with nam pla, tamarind, galangal, saki, mirin, nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. The roast pork recipe elsewhere in your blog looks equally tempting. I'm glad you visited Veronica's blog which led me to yours. - All the Best, Gary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gary:
    Thanks for stopping by. I understand what you have been thru. Just like what I'm experince now over here, experimenting Western diaries, get to know different types of cheese and unique recipes such as KIwi pavolova.
    Hope to see you again, nice to have you here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally tried cooking this dish as my mum used to make it in her Hu Nan style. Mun has gone n can't ask her for guidance. This is before i read your recipe. Tk u for reminding me to add shallot n ginger n cinamon which i had forgotten.
    May i add to your method that the shallot spring onion sticks may be folded n tied itself into a loose knot. Also the shin beef is not cut n after browning the whole is cooked in its juice n marinate on very very low flame for the time u noted. When the sauce With water added is finally just drying up in the sauce pan the meat should be cooked. The trick is watch the flame n not allow it to dry up n burn the pot. To this end a sauce pan with a very thick bottom plate is needed for even distribution of heat.
    By the way I added a chillie just for spicy taste.
    Ken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ken:
      Thanks for the extra tips, I will take note on what you had suggested, when I try this dish again.

      This recipe was adopted from one of my MIL old recipe book. MIL no longer around but lucky she left with some good old recipe books that allow me to continue to learn the traditional Chinese cooking.

      Delete
  7. Looks great, do you have any steps pic?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails